Sunday, November 06, 2005

Knittin' & Knittin' & Knittin'

As I think I have said I am knitting an edging chosen by my sis for the Candle Flame Shawl I made her for her birthday. It is a 22 stitch repeat of a pattern from "Knitting on the Edge" by Nicky Epstein. You would think I would have it done by now. You would think, however I blocked the shawl before making it a present and it was very nice. This yarn has quite a bit of acrylic in it so the blocking didn't exactly change and stay as we are used to with 100% wool content.

So I killed the acrylic. Wish I could find the articles I have read about doing this but I can't seem to right now. Basically it is simply using heat/steam to press it and it works wonders. I do have a couple of pics to show you, hopefully you can see the difference.








I am showing two pics, one is more washed out than the other but in each picture the edging on the left side has been ironed and in fact is already attached to the shawl. If you count, you can see there are about 3 "patterns" on the one on the left however the one on the right has about 5 "patterns". It is very "puckered and lumpy" (highly technical terms of course!) That is how much it presses out and flattens, when ironed with heat and steam. I have done the shawl itself too before attaching the edging and it feels very soft and quite drapey (is that a word?).
In the next few days, I am determined to have this done. The deadline (self imposed) of Oct 31, has obviously come and gone but it has taken me longer than I had hoped. However, it will happen and it will get mailed and she will like it!!

Not much other news on this front, you will see finished pics once this is totally complete. I am on the last edge now, having turned two corners with this edging so wish me luck and a nice day of knitting!

May your day be filled with nice "edges" and lots of knitting.

6 Comments:

Blogger LauraJ said...

That is a _lovely_ shawl.

I think I fixed my links. Thank you. (I really do enjoy the technique...)

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment - the link to Rosa is working now.(She's also linked via my fablog sidebar.) Thanks for contributing to the sock needle discussion!

11:35 AM  
Blogger Chelsea said...

Thanks for your support on the Alaskan issue! I think more people should be worried about it, but it's hard to care with hurricanes and riots and earthquakes and bombings to worry about. I am glad I am not the only one worried about this big blue ball we call home!

Also, if no one else has answered your question about your posts sometimes showing up "down at the bottom" of the page, I can: Your images are too large for your sidebar margins. The "yarn for sale" picture is wider than all of your text, so Blogger has to show it *below* the sidebars so it will fit on the page. That's why when you posted more text, it "came back up" because it fit in the sidebars and the extra post pushed the image down past the sidebars. If that is total jibberish (it's late, don't know if I am making sense), give me a shout and I will try to explain better... :)

8:56 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

It sure has turned out beautiful. I may have to try it. I keep looking at that pattern but have way so many project on my plate. Of course there is that wonderful blue yarn I bought at our gtg in Calgary. Hmmmm!
You sister sure will enjoy. It really is a beautiful shawl and I know she is lucky to have you around.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Beautiful Sue! I know Sharon will love wearing this shawl!

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really beautiful, I am sure your sister will love it!

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home